Pages

Friday, February 5, 2016

Telling someone their life is like Teen Mom is kind of an insult...

The past two weeks of The Bachelor have me completely on edge.  I couldn't even write a summary last week because I've been utterly rattled.

Last week, the girls packed their bags and headed to Vegas. Don't get me wrong- Vegas is amazing.  My husband and I went to Vegas  right before our wedding to run away from our lives and not deal with anything having to do with being an adult.  It is not a place I would go to fall in love.  Yes- people get married there but no one goes thinking they're going to meet their soul mate if they haven't already.  The best thing about Vegas is the dry heat.  I have thick curly hair and it looked incredible the whole time I was there.

Weeks four and five are when things start getting real.  During the first few weeks, the one-on-one dates are to weed out the girls he doesn't know very well.  Now Ben is choosing the girls he really likes.  They haven't gotten dates earlier because he was confident he liked them.

Jojo was an totally expected and incredibly obvious choice for a one-on-one date.  She has been a fan favorite since the beginning and now we finally get to learn more about her.  Isn't she so gorgeous?  There has to be something wrong with her...  Does she pick her nose?  Does she look awful when her make up wears off?  Does she swear like a sailor? 

The date itself was a bit of a yawn although Jojo opened up to Ben with a super tragic story about her dating a guy for a year and a half and then he was douchey so she dumped him.  Wait- that's not tragic or dramatic.  When you don't like the person you're dating, you should dump them and then look for someone who won't cheat on you.

I couldn't believe that production was letting the twin thing go on for so long.  Could Ben even tell them apart?  They didn't have any kind of shtick like "I have a center part, she has a sweeping bang" or  "I wear pink everyday".

For the group date, Ben took the girls to spend time with a ventriloquist.  How the hell do 1200 people pay money to see a weirdo make a puppet talk every night?  Is it mean to assume there had to have been some degree of childhood trauma going on there?

Olivia is on this show for one reason and one reason only- to get a better job than she has.  She's always way too "on" during her interviews and playing to the camera even when they're trying to get something candid.  Ben couldn't even look at her while she was during her painful painful showgirl routine at the talent show.  It seems like she has a really scripted way of doing things and when things go off script, everything falls apart.

The most refreshing thing about Ben as the Bachelor (especially in contrast to Chris) is that he listens and asks questions.  When girls tell him about being nervous or insecure, he asks them why instead of just telling them they shouldn't.  He's perfect.

I was so happy to see Becca get the second one-on-one.  I'm a big fan of hers and think she's a great gal.  I just wish she would have booked an appointment to get her roots touched up.  The date idea of marrying couples was a bit odd but they both seemed sincere and into it.  Ben has a really lovely speaking voice although he could work on his reading aloud. 


Sucks to be Chris Soules watching this knowing Becca pretty much hated everything that happened between them on his season.  Ben cannot be more different than Chris.  He's so sweet and thoughtful and incredibly present in all of the dates and conversations.


Can we talk about the twin thing again??  Don't lie...  you wanted production to pull off the two-on-one date when you found out Vegas was their hometown...  Come onnnnn...  But seriously- as if Ben asked Haley and Other Twin's mom for advice and then dumped Haley in front of sister and mom...  Every guy thinks it would be amazing to date twins but it would be a nightmare.

I loved seeing the Rose Ceremony on a huge glass surface over a pool which was apparently impossible to walk on in heels.  I'm sure they edited out at least five face-plants.  I wasn't surprised to see Rachel and Amber scoot on out of there.

This week, without all that much squealing and jumping around, the sideshow headed across the border to Mexico.  Ben decided to wear incredibly tight pants and wake the girls up at 3am.  I'm generally not a fan of Lauren H. but she is pretty entertaining.  All the girls were so mortified for Ben to see them sans make up and avec bedhead.  She rocked her retainer and had no shame in her middle-of-the-night-wake-up game.

Amanda was picked for the first one-on-one date which she must have been getting ready for in her sleep because she popped up out of bed with perfectly curled hair, flawless make up and no hint of morning voice whatsoever.  I hate her!  I actually like Amanda a lot but Ben is so young and I'm not sure that he's ready to take on two kids and the lifestyle change that would bring.  It's not that he's scared to take on those responsibilities but it may not be what he's looking for at this point in his life.  I feel for Amanda because she's done a lot of living at such a young age.  She told her story of getting married young and admitted it wasn't a great marriage but she has some really mature insight and, at no point made herself out to be a victim.

Other than the awkward love language lesson at the beginning, I loved the cooking group date.  It would be so fun to run around a Mexican market and find ingredients to put together an authentic meal.  I'm not sure why Ben wasn't a judge.  You would think, in a competition setting, he should be at least tasting the food to see what these ladies are made of.  Now don't go thinking that I believe a wife should be stuck in the kitchen every night cooking for her man but having high quality dining experiences at home is a really big part of my marriage no matter who is doing the cooking.  Food brings people together!

Poor Jubilee.  She is simply not cut out for this process.  She has such a hard time being comfortable in her own skin around the other girls.  I hated to see Ben get heated about her inability to warm up to him but she needed to hear how that makes him feel.  If I was a contestant on The Bachelor, I would be a less fit, slightly less sulky Jubilee.  I could not deal with watching other girls being all over the guy I was trying to date.  I'd be the girl sleeping on the couch during the cocktail party and Ben would friendzone me by week two (if not sooner).

Why why why why why why why why why did Ben give Olivia the group date rose?  Why?  Tell me...  please someone explain this to me.  Ben and Lauren B. spent some really quality time together just strolling and making out and then Olivia gets the rose?  Stop.  Just stop.

Lauren H.'s one-on-one at Mexican Fashion Week was cool but she and Ben didn't seem to be able to spend all that much time together.  Can I please take a moment to say how incredibly smoking hot Ben looked on the catwalk!?  Dying.

Lauren really did hold her own and, despite being surrounded by gorgeous professional models, she was an incredibly good sport about the whole thing.

I have no recollection of what they chatted about at dinner or even if she received a rose but I don't remember running mascara or heaving tears so I assume all ended in Lauren's favour.

Things really hit the fan during the cocktail party when Olivia flat out told Amanda that her life was like an episode of Teen Mom.  Now, I love Teen Mom and, coincidentally, it is on right after The Bachelor.  I know the Teen Mom girls' (but mostly the dad's...) lives are or have been total train-wreaks but I can't get enough.

If someone compared my life to that of one of the Teen Moms, I'd have to take a reeeeeeeal good look at myself or at that person.  Olivia was                                                                                                         so far off base by saying that and                                                                                                               other contestants did not like it at                                                                                                             all.  Like... at all at all.

We were left hanging off the edge of our couches when, just before the start of the rose ceremony, Ben asked if he could speak to Olivia in private.  And then...

Son of a.... !!!!






  

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs