Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I'm a (wo)man of simple pleasures...

Lately, in my attempt to be a better me, I've been focusing on making some changes to my everyday life.  The changes that I thought would make the most difference in my mood, energy levels and overall well being is getting a gym membership and making a conscious effort to eat better.  I'm really surprised at how much I've taken to going to the gym.  Most days now, I actually crave getting over there and burning off some steam.

My biggest obstacle is the nutrition side of things.  I enjoy incorporating more fruits and vegetables into my diet and haven't missed my large portions of pasta... and garlic bread... and chips... at all (okay... maybe a little bit).  One thing that could stand in my way of maintaining a better diet is my lack of food knowledge and creativity to add a lot of variety to my meals.  Spinach salad is getting a bit old.  I also think I may not be eating enough calories.  Eat more?!  Yes please!

I plan my meals for the week before I go grocery shopping but I rarely account for snacks or good lunches.  Working from home is great because I'm not tempted to grab something quick and greasy on the run but I'm often left standing with the refrigerator door open wondering what I can throw together to get me through the rest of my day plus an after-work workout.  Any helpful recipes or websites from my nutrition smart friends would be much appreciated.

On a not-overly-nutritious but very-delicious note, I had a successful "try something new" outing over the weekend and it inspired me.  I was going to a BBQ on Sunday night and wanted to take just a couple of drinks with me (I was the driver).  I visited my neighbourhood liquor store and noticed how many specialty beers are around in the summer time from small breweries all over the province.  I looked for the most interesting looking bottle and bought it.  Huge success.  My choice was Summer Weiss from Muskoka Brewery .

So go indulge in a simple pleasure this week.  Whether that's adding some fresh veggies to your meal or picking the prettiest bottle in the liquor store- do something kind for yourself.  And listen to this feel-good summer song reminding us all to enjoy the simple things.

Follow me on Twitter:  darbyvt

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Nice theme. Love the song! Very you.

Have you ever looked at my Pinterest board? Just wondering. As for snacking ideas: I just bought some rice cakes to top w/ Almond butter. Also some homemade Tzaziki (greek yogurt, lemon, dill, cucumber, salt & pepper). Lasts a few days in fridge and great for dipping veggies or spreading into a wrap. Homemade trail mix with almonds, cashews -any nut really- dried fruits and some cacao bits or yogurt covered raisins. OH and if you have monstrous cravings for chips, you have to buy popchips! AMAZING! Read the fat content. I can't believe they exist.

If you really want to go "woo woo" as Blair likes to call it, you can do what I do and bake some kale chips with lemon juice and sea salt. I'm sure Ty would love those.

PS. Me, you, kdawg, next weekend - yogurtys?

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs