Pages

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Crashing cars and crushing hearts

With last week's premiere behind them, the contestants finally get to go to sleep and now the real fun begins (for us... not so much for them...).

The episode started off fast and furious with Arie pulling up on a motorcycle to have the season's first one-on-one with Becca K.  I don't remember Becca at all from the first episode.  I bet, when walking into the house, Arie wasn't even sure which girl she was.

The first part of the date is Rachel Zoe acting as a personal stylist for Becca.  Rachel Zoe is super cool but looked like she wanted to die.  Speaking of... I would die if this was my first date with a guy. How uncomfortable would it be to try on clothes for someone you just started dating?!  Trying on clothes is already the worst but having a guy you like sit there and see you in each one would be horrible.  There was not a moment of quality time spent between them.  Why was she being showered with expensive clothes/shoes/jewelry?  Becca and Arie only got to spend time together after she was completely high on dopamine and blinded by Loubouton studs.  (Full disclosure:  I had to google "red sole shoes" to be sure they were Loubouton's and find out how to actually spell "Loubouton").

Despite a weird date concept, Becca and Arie had a really natural connection.  The worst part about being the first one-on-one is having to see all of the dates to come and deal with playing second fiddle for a while.  Becca seems to have a confidence and maturity that a lot of the ladies don't.  Hearing her speak about her dad's illness and death gave us a glimpse at how open her heart is and where her values lie.

Look... for my own Bachelor-viewing sanity, Bibiana needs to stick around.  I know she won't win.  It's against all The Bachelor rules.  She does, however, play an incredibly important role.  She's the girl that gives hilarious commentary in her interviews.  She's who we all want as a drinking buddy.  I want her to come to my workplace Christmas party and walk around judging everyone.  Next time my department is hiring, I am going to look her up.  My friend, Andrea, hit the nail on the head when she referred to Bibiana as the "Carly W." of this season. Bibiana is a shoe-in for all of The Bachelor/ette spin-offs like Bachelor in Paradise. 





I wasn't surprised to see Krystal get the second one-on-one date of the night.  She is one of those people who makes a really memorable first impression.  She certainly has an intensity about her that draws you in.  I don't think we've seen an authentic and vulnerable side of Krystal yet. 



Did anyone else notice that Krystal and Arie's mom look alike?!  I lied about the personal stylist date...  meeting my boyfriend's parents on a first date is actually my nightmare.  What was Arie thinking?!  Thar is not only so much pressure for Krystal but the other girls are going to die when they find out.  It's social suicide to send her back into the house after this.


My gut feeling is that Krystal puts so much time into helping others in an attempt to cover up some of her own pain and past experiences.  She has had a rough life for sure but I worry that she hasn't had help and support for herself before pouring all of that energy into others.  This process will be really difficult for Krystal and her insecurities are going to bubble up as Arie spends time with other girls.




The Bachelor has an unrivaled ability to come up with the worst group date ideas.  Let's throw fifteen catty girls into an environment more competitive than merely vying for the love of the same guy.  Take all of that and then asking them to crash into each other in motor vehicles during a demolition derby? 





...  I wasn't going to bring it up but...   *sigh*   Ok... last week, Annaliese was one of my absolute favourite ladies.  I pegged her as going all the way.  We got a small glimpse into, what I hope is a rare moment, of Annaliese's PBCSD (Post Bumper Car Stress Disorder).  To be really fair,  I don't understand how a real like demolition derby with complete amateur drivers is safe.  I would have made up a fake story and popped out some tears to avoid intentional car crashes too.  The only good that could come from this date is finding out who the completely crazy and ruthless girls are (ehem...  Brittany T...).  Those are the locos who will key your car and slash your tires at the first opportunity.

I want to like Sienne.  Being a Yale grad, she is clearly super smart.  She happens to be stunningly beautiful which doesn't hurt.  For both of those reasons and more, she and Arie are a mismatch to say the least.  I wish Sienne would open up more during her limited time with Arie instead of listing off all of her life accomplishments.  I'm surprised that Arie gave her the date rose but delighted that he didn't give it to Chelsea.






Does Bekah makes anyone else incredibly nervous?!  I struggle to put my finger on exactly what makes me so uncomfortable.  She doesn't strike me as disingenuous but she's a lot...  Like... a lot a lot.  Arie is obviously intrigued by her boldness and confidence but does she have the ability to tone it down?  What is she like at home on a Sunday afternoon?  I've been reading lots of speculation that Becca has the same appeal to Arie that Courtney Robinson had.  Courtney was one of the most controversial gals to ever grace The Bachelor (which is saying something).  Although Bekah seems like a nicer and more social contestant than Courtney was, they both have a similar level of intensity and mystique.  They also may or may not have practically the same face... 


At this point in "the game", the pre-rose ceremony cocktail hours are so charged and intense but the girls going home are typically those who have had no on-air time.  No one is emotionally invested but the girls are typically exhausted, under-fed and over-served.  This leads to the best exit interviews of all time.  This week, the Best Exit award easily went to Jenna who told Arie she wasn't crying because she was upset about leaving him.  She was upset about leaving her friends.  Yes!!

I have a feeling Arie is going to do what has to be done this season.  I can't see him keeping girls around just for the sake of it.  He has the benefit of being a past contestant but also having years of distance between being on the show and coming back. I wasn't initially excited about this season, but Arie is growing on me and I'm definitely hooked early.  Looking forward to watching along with you all!  Please leave your thoughts and predictions below and follow along @midtowndiaries on Instagram. 




No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs