Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Getting saucy now! Getting the most flavour out of your weekend meal

I don't know about you but I've gotten into the habit of making the same food the same way over and over, week after week.  T and I make a meal plan every Saturday and go shopping for everything we need.  I like mixing things up and not having a rotation but it's hard coming up with new ideas that are easy to execute after a long day.

Lately, I've been keeping with the quick-and-easy theme but introducing new flavours (to my American readers- that's flavor) with one easy trick- sauces!  My old pal Pinterest makes coming up with new recipes a cinch.  You can search your protein and then type in ingredients you have in your pantry or fridge already.  For example, I had pork chops but was tired of my usual seasoning so I entered "best pork chop sauce" into the search bar and got this recipe for chops with a sweet & sour glaze.
Easy Sweet & Sour glaze from DamnDelicious
On Superbowl Sunday, we were heading to a friend's house and I wanted to bring along a few different flavours of wings.  I had a good rub for dry wings and a new idea for a copycat coating but wanted something saucy too.  Luckily, I found a recipe for yummy Chipotle Maple Baked Wings (so Canadian of me) that called for simple ingredients that I already had in my cupboard.
Superbowl Wing Trio w/Chipotle Maple Bacon Baked Wings (L)
My third (and favorite) sauce recipe this week is this incredibly easy and delicious Baked Honey Mustard Chicken from DamnDelicious.net.  Can you tell I'm on the verge of obsession with this recipe blog?  I wouldn't call myself a huge lover of mustard.  I put a dab on a burger now and then but it's not my go-to condiment.  I am telling you...  this recipe is so flavourful and the chicken comes out so juicy and tender.  The honey mellows out the mustard so you're left with the tang but not the bite that mustard can have.  I used regular yellow mustard in place of whole grain but used grainy dijon because that's what was in the fridge (I was fresh out of grey poupon).  The grain (wheather in the regular mustard or dijon) creates a nice texture and helps the sauce stick a bit.  Make this immediately and be sure to throw in a few extras for lunch.  The leftovers would be great chopped up in a salad or in a wrap.
Sauce for Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
The end result.  So so so yummy!
What are your favorite weeknight recipes?  Comment below and be sure to find these meals and more by following at www.pinterest.com/midtowndiaires.


No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs