Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

The happiest crazy I've ever been... Tales from a Bride-to-Be

Holy moly...  It has been one heck of a long time since I have visited all of your computer screens.  I've missed you and have been waiting on the perfect time to reconnect.  In truth, I've been a complete head case and I haven't washed my hair for about three days.

I won't even complain though because this is the happiest crazy I've ever been.  During our vacation in Jamaica last month, T popped the question and we're getting maaaaarrrrrrried!!  All of my ooo'ing and ahhh'ing at my friends' beautiful husbands and wives has paid off and I can't be more excited.  The love and support we have received over the past few weeks has been overwhelming in the best way possible.

We're less than a month into our engagement and I'm already starting to understand why brides can turn a little nutty while planning for their big day.  Every bride friend I know has seemed so calm, gracious and friendly but, I know now, there is a bridezilla inside every woman just waiting to come out.

Just in the past week I admit to having done the following:
1.  Planned at least 3 weddings already on Pinterest that will likely, in no way, resemble my our actual wedding
2.  Decided to drink several beers on my birthday which ended in weeping in my best friend's arms while asking her to be my maid of honour (she said "yes"!)  Another friend was later found sitting alone at the bus stop down the street with a bag of 15 McD's burgers (atta boy!)
3.  Refused to drink Steamwhistle for the rest of my life because their really gorgeous event space is booked up until November 2014
4.  Broke down crying at the dinner table on Mother's Day infront of my future in-laws while being asked very general and not-at-all emotional questions about our plans.  My favorite advice afterward came from a newly wed friend which wasn't "Awww... are you ok?" or "What happened?!"  It was "Oh yeah.  Get used to it.  It won't be the last time that happens."  :)  Thanks E!
5.  Yelled "I'm getting really pissed off!" in a crazy demonic voice I've never heard before when T left the room for two seconds while I was talking to him about wedding stuff
6.  Caught T staring at my ring and actually believe I will wake up next to Gollum one day
7.  Got in the habit of taking "dance breaks" during wedding planning which turn into muffin baking breaks which turn into Candy Crush breaks which turn into tweeting Chris Harrison to officiate the wedding which...  you get the picture.

My friends and T's cousins have been instrumental in reminding me that all of this really is supposed to be fun and I have to see the humour in it to keep myself (and poor T) as sane as possible.  I promise I won't be "that girl" that shares cute lyrics or quites from Jerry McGuire (but maybe Titanic).  I won't post 12 million pictures of my ring (ok... just one!)

After seeing this pic, my Dad told
me I watch too many wedding shows on TV

...or engagement photos kissing by a brick wall (stucco is the new brick anyway!).  But I may share silly antidotes that will hopefully make you laugh or at least consider eloping with the one you love.

**If any wedding vendors or venues are reading this right now, I will completely sell out and shamelessly promote your products in exchange for free stuff.

Questions?  Comments?  Marital advice??  Write me a note below or tweet me @darbyvt.

Back to cooking next time :)


4 comments:

SarahGerbs said...

Advice: Keep an open mind. Go see venues you may not "like" because of whatever reason. You may end up liking them.
Flexible with the date? When picking a venue, ask them about any cancellations in the upcoming year. Why? They HAVE to fill those spots - save yourself some $$$!
Find the top most important things to you - i.e.: food, dress, cake - and get them DONE and out of the way first.
Involve EVERYONE, but do what you guys want in the end. An opinion never killed anyone and who knows, maybe someone will have an amazing idea.
Kids at the wedding? Make them a "sit still" gift. Find out from the parents what they enjoy (like colouring) and buy them some stuff so that they'll sit still(ish). Also, see if you can find a local babysitting service for those parents who would really really really like to enjoy a night sans children. Put it on the invites.
NUMBER your invites in pencil on the back. Co-ordinate an excel spreadsheet so when someone replies "YES! We will be there with bells on" but assumes you know their handwriting.... you know who it is.
I have a million and one more if you ever want to pick my brain. T has my info.

PS I love your blog!

Erin C said...

Darbs, I love this. Everything you've written explains exactly how I have been feeling/acting over the last two months. Keep it up, you're making me feel more human. xo.

Lindsey said...

Bahahaha Darbs!
The crazy demonic voice will come out many a more times. You are the funniest person I know.

meg said...

I just had to re-read this.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs