Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Great 52 (or at least 45...) week Recipe Challenge

Winter Sundays at my house are often pretty low-key.  They usually involve lazing about, coffee-drinking, recovering from the night before and the sound of crumpling Pro-Line tickets when T's football teams aren't doing well.  These days can cause episodes of daydream where my fabulous urban alter ego gallivants about the city with her three best girlfriends brunching and sipping on mimosas all while carrying armloads of shopping bags from the highest end stores.

In reality, I usually don't get out of my sweats and it's a big day if The Blind Side isn't playing on TV followed by a Hugh Grant movie followed by Pay It Forward.  

I must have been running a fever or something because I was feeling especially inspired and ambitious this weekend and decided to challenge myself to trying one new recipe every week this year.  I figure with vacation, work trips and other clever excuses, I can get 52 weeks down to 45 recipes at the most.  Totally do-able.  

I quickly found out that this little project will take some research and serious grocery prep but I'm up for it.  Let's be serious... I have the time...  

My week one recipe came to me from my new life hero, Lori (aka RecipeGirl.com).  I decided on the Baked Penne with Spinach, Roasted Peppers and B.A.C.O.N.  

A few things I did differently:
  • I roasted my own red peppers instead of buying them in a jar (Super easy.  Just brush some oil on the pepper and throw it in the oven set to low broil for ~6 mins on each side)
  • The recipe calls for frozen spinach but I cooked my own in a pan with a bit of butter, 1/4 of an onion and a clove of garlic
  • I used pizza mozzarella instead of provolone
  • President's Choice Blue Menu makes a Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper soup and was the only one I could find at my local grocery store.  Because it comes in a 500mL carton, I used 1 and 3/4 cups of milk instead of 2 cups
Tips:
  • Prep took me about 35 mins since there are a number of things to pre-cook (peppers, spinach, bacon, penne).  You also have to prepare the sauce after everything is cooked which uses up more dishes and time
  • Baking time of 35 was perfect but let the dish sit for ~10 mins before digging in (it's difficult- I know!) as the texture was a little bit soupier than I expected
  • Prepare to wash about 14,097 pots, pans and spoons once the dish is in the oven.  I was able to double up on a few pots for different components but your sink is going to be full by the end of prep (see photo below).
                         
Prep: Roasting peppers, making pasta
and cooking spinach & bacon
Ready for the oven!
Finished product.  Beautiful dish.
Aftermath...  1,000,000 dishes
The finished product was rich, creamy and great for those who aren't watching their waistlines.  Give yourself just over an hour to make this meal start to finish.  Perfect for a lazy Sunday.  Also great if you are training your roommate, kids or significant other in the art of dish-washing.  There were 4-6 portions (yay leftovers!).

RecipeGirl's Baked Penne with Spinach, Roasted Red Peppers and B.A.C.O.N receives the D&T stamp of approval and, after a brief household survey was performed, received a 7.75/10 rating.  It has been added to our "Make Occasionally" meal list.

Tweet your comments and meal ideas to @darbyvt

No comments:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs