Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Fun get-together idea for friends (19+)! GRC Week 3

Ahhhhh Monday.  We meet again.

For the past week, I've been taking things a bit easy and avoiding alcohol since the whole I-fainted-and-landed-on-my-face-splitting-my-chin-open-and-getting-six-stitches thing happened last weekend.  I'm starting to come around and have been feeling much better although I still have a visit to a cardiologist since my EKG test came up abnormal.

Staying off the booze hasn't been so bad however I was sad to be a spectator and not a full-on participant at my friend's* party on Saturday night.  She came up with a great idea to do an International Beer Tasting night.  Everyone in attendance chose a country (or region) of the world and brought a few different kinds of beer from that area for everyone to try.  We took turns pouring sample sized portions for each person to taste each kind.

One of the awesome things about living in a big city is that there is always a huge variety of single bottles and cans of beer that you can pick from.  All of the beers at the LCBO were labeled by country so it was easy to navigate through.  Often times, I go straight toward my old faithful, tried and true brands.  I'd encourage any beer lover to stop and take a little look around.  The beer tasting party was a great excuse to do so.

We ended up having quite the selection from England, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Canada, Mexico, Jamaica and Asia.  It was a fun way for everyone to try some new flavours and share some laughs with friends.  Everyone discovered some beers that they really liked (and some they didn't).

This soiree was also a great excuse for me to try out a new appetizer recipe I've been eyeing.  You didn't think I'd forget about Week 3 of the Great Recipe Challenge (GRC), did you?!?!  Recipe Girl came to my rescue again with this SUPER tasty and VERY easy Pizza Pinwheels treat.
These Pizza Pinwheels will be a hit with your friends (young and old!)
Substitute pepperoni for your favorite veggie or other meat.
They seemed to be a big hit other than T being upset that I shared them with our friends and didn't hoard them all for him.

I didn't change a thing about the recipe.  My favorite part- the dough (which I usually find the most intimidating part of a pizza or pie recipe) is only two ingredients.  Just throw together some self-rising flour and some 2% plain greek yogurt and you have a fluffy, light pastry dough.  I literally threw the toppings on, rolled it all up and it was ready to bake.
1, 2, 3... Ready to roll!
Cut into 1/2" pieces and they're ready to head to the oven.
 So host your own international beer tasting event for your friends this winter (or attend one!) and try a new appetizer recipe to share.  Your friends will either be super grateful or think it's gross and you never have to make it for yourself or anyone else again!

*party planning credit goes to Meaghan :)

Share your recipes and party ideas with me!  Tweet me @darbyvt

1 comment:

Meaghan said...

Do you guys like spicy? You have to try this Bourbon street chicken. So good!
http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/201809/Bourbon-Street-Chicken

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs